We are hiring! Media Relations & Trade Development Account Manager
UPDATED (April 16, 2021): New start date and now a full-time position.
Virtual & Full-time.
Start date: July 1, 2021 or later.
About Bannikin Travel & Tourism Ltd.
Bannikin Travel & Tourism Ltd. has been in operation since 2010 and has built a reputation as a leading travel trade development, branding and storytelling, media relations and destination development consultancy specializing in experiential tourism and sustainable travel.
We are a small but mighty team with DMO, tour operator and destination clients spanning the globe. Our clients know that we are here as a solution to their unique challenges, like limited resources – time, money, sales networks, etc. – by providing tourism-specific, highly-specialized and well-researched support.
Bannikin was built on a love for travel and a great respect for destinations and entrepreneurs providing immersive, experience-driven travel experiences around the world. We work with destinations and travel companies at every stage of the tourism life cycle, from development, through to implementation, delivery to market and market management.
About the Position
We’re on the lookout for an experienced, ambitious, team-oriented Account Manager with a great all-hands-on-deck attitude to join our team. You’ll be working closely with our small integrated communications team to design and implement winning media relations and trade development (B2B sales) strategies and campaigns for our roster of niche travel and tourism clients. The position requires creativity, a passion for the tourism industry, strategic big-picture thinking, and the ability to take initiative and manage work effectively without a lot of supervision. As Account Manager, Media Relations & Trade Development, you will work collaboratively with the Bannikin team as well as be responsible for leading media relations and trade development accounts. Candidates must be personable, adaptable, very self-motivated and genuinely excited to deliver excellent results for our diverse client roster.
40 hours per week. *Domestic and international travel required for a percentage of time, varying year to year, with no more than 30% of working days spent on the road (travel trade FAMs, press trips, meetings, media events & conferences, etc).
*Covid-19 has affected team travel at this time.
Estimated July 1, 2021 or later.
Commensurate with experience.
What the Role Entails
Develop and execute ongoing media relations plans from conception through implementation to reporting, providing both management and hands-on involvement in all phases.
Build and maintain strong working relationships with media, from newspaper travel editors to online influencers, as well as provide timely responses to media requests and reporting to promote positive exposure surrounding our clients’ travel experiences, events and initiatives.
- Develop and maintain a story bank of ideas for potential pitches and press releases
- Research and maintain media contact lists
- Write and edit press releases, pitches, advertorials, social media content, and more
- Responsible for distribution of press releases.
- Monitor media for coverage of clients and competitors
- Recommend and prepare award applications on behalf of clients
- Recommend and apply for speaking opportunities and media interviews on behalf of clients
- Provide strategic consulting to ensure consistency of key messaging and brand positioning
- Exercise independent judgment when prioritizing media opportunities and pitching stories to media contacts.
- Contribute strategic insight into the corporate social media and marketing plans as it relates to communications and media relations initiatives.
- Maintain keen understanding of travel industry trends
- Plan, organize and host international press trips (individual and group) in partnership with client
- Plan, organize and host external media events and deskside opportunities
- Attend select media marketplaces and industry events on behalf of clients
Trade Partnership Development
- Develop relationships and secure partnerships for Bannikin’s inbound tour operator clients with appropriate travel agents, tour operators, and custom trip planners in the North American market through sales presentations/webinars, exceptionally well-researched pitches and other sales touchpoints.
- Plan and execute sales visits to key buyers in North American markets
- Attend select trade and industry events on behalf of clients
- Plan & organize trade FAM trips in partnership with client
- Onboarding new clients – lead discovery sessions, establish action plans, set milestones and deliverables, and establish brand positioning in target markets/with target partners
- Create succinct monthly reports for all clients.
- Maintain regular communications with client
What We Look For
- Bachelor’s degree or college education in Communications, Public Relations, Tourism or Marketing preferred
- 4+ years of experience in B2B sales development and/or tourism communications, media, public relations, or a related field required
- Proven experience in tourism partnership development/trade development preferred
- Proven experience in pitching media stories, both nationally and internationally
- Established relationships with media preferred
- Established relationships with trade contacts preferred
- Exceptional editing, communication and writing skills required
- Bannikin is a small company, so we need someone with an ‘all-hands-on-deck’ and team-oriented, positive attitude
- Genuine drive to foster solid client relationships and enthusiasm for forging new relationships
- Motivated self-starter; takes initiative to start projects
- Ability to manage several projects at once and prioritize work in a changing environment, as well as ability to manage time extremely well – important when responsible for several clients with competing priorities and deadlines
Ability to work well with a small team
- Comfortable working virtually
- Fast learner
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
How to Apply
Please send CVs and a short cover letter to email@example.com. Don’t forget to tell us how you have demonstrated success!