Outbound departures from China are increasing every year – but how many of those travellers are adventure travellers? We’ve completed a study that finds that 16.3% of all Chinese travellers are adventure travellers. We also found that:
- 6% of Chinese adventure travellers can be categorized as ‘soft adventure travellers,’ while 2.7% can be categorized as ‘hard adventure travellers.’
- The total adventure market size for China (based on accommodation spending only) is USD 8.2B per year.
- Adventure travel spend from China represents 0.64% of total international tourism spend
- The top destinations for adventure travellers were United States, Thailand, Australia and Japan.
- Time to be in nature, camping and backpacking are some of the most popular activities for Chinese adventure tourists.
- For Chinese consumers, the term “adventure travel” conjures up images of visiting new destinations and suggests elements of risk or danger.
To download the full report, click here.
If you are interested in attracting the Chinese Adventure Traveller to your destination or tour operator – get in touch with Natasha – firstname.lastname@example.org