Trade show season is upon us, so it’s time to buckle up and enjoy the ride! How do you survive the most exciting, jam-packed, exhausting, handshake-filled days of the year? Our conference pros, Iris and Pete, share some of the tricks of the trade (pun intended):
- Double check your passport’s expiration date
- Reconfirm your most important meetings the week before you leave
- Pack easy snacks like nuts or energy bars in your luggage to keep your energy high; especially with jam-packed schedules – it’s not uncommon to miss a meal time!
- Don’t schedule every waking moment; leave one or two ‘networking/coffee break’ slots open in your agenda for unexpected connections that may crop up
- Review the conference schedule and make sure you note the time/place details of the breakout sessions you can’t miss
While at the show:
- Go over your schedule every morning before heading to the show and write down 1 big goal for that day
- Practice name recognition techniques
- Take clear notes in your meetings and bring a highlighter, to make it easy to know exactly what your action items are post-conference
- Carry a water bottle with you at all times – and drink more water than you think you need!
After the show:
- Start your follow-up within 3-5 days business days of the end of the show; it shows your enthusiasm and commitment to your new potential partners
- Categorize your trade show appointments/leads in order of priority and complete your follow-up in this order
- Write down what you would like to do differently next year and send it to yourself in a scheduled email for 6 months from now
…and finally – Don’t forget your business cards!